Norton, Bowers Hofstra, P.C.
Motorcycle Safety Tips
Riding a motorcycle can be a wonderful way to enjoy the beautiful weather or unwind after a long day. Unfortunately, it can also be a dangerous past time and 80% of all motorcycle accidents result in injury or wrongful death. While these statistics are alarming, there are things you can do to keep yourself safe.
The single best way to prevent injuries while riding a motorcycle is to wear a helmet. Wearing a helmet actually prevents fatal injuries 37% better than not wearing one at all. Need more reasons? In some states, the failure to wear a helmet can reduce your damages claim. In a recent report, 1,829 motorcyclists are alive today because they chose to wear a helmet while riding!
Wearing a helmet is not the only way to stay safe on a motorcycle. Safety experts suggest that all motorcyclists take a safety course before hitting the open highway for the first time on a motorcycle. In fact, even seasoned veterans should refresh their knowledge of motorcycle safety from time to time.
Motorcycle Safety Do and Don't:
- DO obey all the traffic laws in your state and in your community
- DO use defensive driving skills
- DO use signals when changing lanes
- DO check all mirrors before changing lanes or stopping
- DO watch the weather before going out on your motorcycle to avoid dangerous conditions
- DO use your headlights----even in the daytime
- DO wear a helmet when driving
- DO wear appropriate eye protection
- DO wear protective clothing when driving
- DON'T tailgate
- DON'T ride in between lanes of slowly moving or stopped traffic
- DON'T ride in another vehicle's blind spot
- DON'T assume other drivers are aware of your presence on the road
- DON'T drink and drive
- DON'T use drugs and drive your motorcycle----even OTC or prescription medications
We serve clients in metro Denver, Boulder, and Colorado Springs.
Our motorcycle accident lawyers are based in Aurora, Colorado but we handle cases throughout the state of Colorado, and in Wyoming and Utah. To learn more about your rights and the most effective way to present your damages claims, contact the top motorcycle personal injury lawyers at Norton, Bowers & Hofstra, P.C., at 303-400-8100 for a free consultation. You will meet with an attorney, not a paralegal, “case manager,” or salesman. Home, evening, and weekend visits are available.