5 Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
The Top Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
1. Negligence: Unfortunately, many motorcycle accidents occur simply because the other driver failed to notice a motorcyclist on the roadway. Inattention to the road can cause a driver to inadvertently side swipe a motorcycle in their blind spot or fail to notice a motorcyclist driving through an intersection. If your motorcycle accident was the result of another person's negligence, you may be entitled to seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
2. Defective Equipment: Motorcycle manufacturers have a responsibility to ensure that their products are safe and reliable. Improper design, and faulty manufacturing, can cause a motorcycle part to malfunction leading to devastating injuries. Tire blowouts, brake failure, and helmet failure are all examples of situations when a manufacturer or engineer may be to blame. An experienced personal injury attorney will be needed to investigate your case and determine if defective equipment contributed to, or caused your motorcycle accident.
3. Improper Roadway Maintenance: City and county departments are responsible for keeping the roadways safe. Failure on their part could have devastating consequences, especially for motorcyclists. Failure to perform adequate snow removal, fix faulty bridges, improve faulty medians, or fix dangerous potholes, can all lead to dangerous motorcycle accidents.
4. Alcohol or Drug Consumption: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal for anyone in the state of Colorado. If a driver, who was driving under the influence, is responsible for your accident, he may be held liable for any damages or injuries that have occurred. In addition, the driver may also be subject to serious criminal charges.
5. Hazardous Weather Conditions: Mother Nature can be challenging. Unpredictable snowstorms, thunderstorms, and hail can leave motorcyclists vulnerable to accidents and injuries. During hazardous weather conditions, all drivers have a responsibility to drive safely and exercise extreme caution. When other drivers fail to do this, serious, and often traumatic, accidents can occur. Because a motorcycle offers so little protection to its driver, the majority of injuries, and fatalities, unfortunately, occur to the motorcyclist.
We serve clients in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming.
To learn more about your rights and the most effective way to present your damages claims, contact the motorcycle personal injury lawyers of Norton, Bowers & Hofstra, P.C., at 303-400-8100. Call for a free consultation. You will meet with an attorney, not a paralegal or case manager. Home, evening, and weekend visits are available.